Vetted scholarly and journalistic e-mail discussion lists
- Reports, book reviews, discussion and debate in H-Asia
(Asian history and culture) and H-DIPLO
(diplomatic history) are archived and searchable.
reports the impact of Taipei-Beijing relations on Southeast Asian affairs.
Think-tanks, research institutes and e-mail lists
- Cross-Strait Common Market Foundation
- Taiwan Security Research
archives include news and papers from 1998 till now.
- The Nautilus Institute regularly
publishes a variety of military-security reports about developments in
East and Southeast Asia.
- The Institute for Defense & Disarmament
Studies is "a nonprofit center where we study global military
policies, arms holdings, production and trade, arms control and
peace-building efforts; and run educational programs on current and
- Sample files for China
Military Capabilities illustrate potential uses of the Institute
for Defense and Disarmament Studies Database.
- Comparative Connections, associated with the
Pacific Forum CSIS, is a quarterly e-journal on East
Asian bilateral relations. The Pacific Forum CSIS Board of Governors
is chaired by Brent Scowcroft, former Assistant to US Presidents George
H. W. Bush and Gerald R. Ford for National Security Affairs.
- Among the world's top 10 military spenders are the US, Japan and the
P.R.C., according to the Stockholm
International Peace Research Institute.
- For summaries of Americans' views of Taiwan-related issues, consult
& the World
- Part of the London-based IPG Intelligence Network, Asian
Intelligence Ltd gives daily briefings.
- The Federation of American
Scientists analyzes Cross-Strait relations. Use the search engine to
access Taiwan-related reports.
- In August 2000, the Honolulu-based and Congressionally funded East-West
Center hosted an international conference on Chen Shui-Bian's election
as President of Taiwan.
Official papers and "Track II" reports and analyses
- Reminding Taiwan voters of PRC priorities, the State Council published
China's National Defence in 2000 (former link=http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/history/2000/10/d1-6re~1.a17.html).
- Chen Hung-yu of the Institute of International Relations (National
Chengchi University, Taiwan) analyzes
China's White Paper of 21 February 2000. (former link=http://www.dsis.org.tw/peaceforum/papers/2000-03/CSR0003005-e.htm)
- The Office of Net Assessment (US Secretary of Defense) reported on
of the Taiwan Relations Act" in December 2000.
- George W. Bush's Theater Missile Defense Program is opposed not only
by the PRC but also by some Taiwanese
- The Pacific forum sponsored a "Taiwan
Security in the Year 2000: Retrospect and Prospects" on 15 December
2000 (download W*A84K versions if .pdf files are not legible, former link=http://www.dsis.org.tw/peaceforum/symposium/2000-12/index.htm).